Community is his calling...

Saturday, December 3, 2011

TWTD: Unaware Inequality and How a Community can help.

I thought maybe I should cover a topic that many people tend to forget about. I want to speak about inequality and how it still exists throughout our daily lives. I also want to speak about community and the people being our voice for change as well as speaking about a few people who thought differently. As we wake up in the morning and go on through our daily lives, every American of another ethnicity besides Caucasian is being treated differently based on their just because of their skin color. Some notice this difference faster than others. But many of our Caucasian Americans are unaware of their placement on the table of ethnic status. They are placed higher than others. As I read Peggy McIntosh’s article titled White Privilege: UnpackingThe Invisible Knapsack, I began to notice some differences that I was unaware of and many that I thought was familiar. McIntosh called this an “unfair advantage” known as an “invisible package of unearned assets which I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was meant to remain oblivious.” The assets McIntosh refers to are things such as many huge organization being ran by white males, good education system being found in a predominately white neighborhood, people of the Caucasian race being widely represented on the television and the cover of newspapers and tiny things like flesh colored bandages being only Caucasian’s color. These assets are what I would consider fuel that is added to the racial discrimination fire. I want to make sure people are aware of these privileges and how equal things throughout our daily lives really are.
Although the mainstream discrimination has been cracked down, it still exist and can be seen happening every day. Many of Americans don’t notice these “little” acts of discrimination because we are all still so glad that the battle to end racism is being won. We are like a group of soldier who are fighting a war and seems to be winning and at about ¾’s of this battle we put up our swords and celebrate our not yet won victory. I encourage many people of all ethnicities to open their eyes and notice these things and seek equality. I have many friends and people who noticed the inequality and try to seek change. For Instance, Shane Claiborne, Tony Compolo and Chris Lahr are three great examples of people seeking equality throughout America (all three of these man are Caucasian by the way). There’s two things these three people have in common and that’s the thirst for a better world and developing a community to get theirs and many others voices heard by the world. As I previously stated I encourage many to come together and form a community. An individual voice can't be heard over a distant and clearly, but a community's voice can be heard loud and clear from everywhere. A community can change the world. 

4 comments:

  1. Derrick, thanks for these great words. I am thankful for people like you who have a platform to be able to speak to these inequalities from a black perspective. It does take white folk like me to recognize my privilege and it also requires me to humble myself and listen to people who are different from me; to take direction and advice from marginalized people. We also need allies to come alongside us as we try to make the world better. Let's go get us some allies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derrick, I'm so impressed with your writing! It's amazing how much you've learned in style and in perspective in just a few months. I'm proud of you. This article is really interesting, and gives us all something to think about. (I never thought about BandAids....) ~Meesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put Derrick!

    ReplyDelete