Community is his calling...

Thursday, October 6, 2011

TWTD: Persistency, Spirtuality, and Preparation through battles = Success!

I never thought being or thinking differently could be considered hateful. I never thought wanted to make a change in today’s society could be so complex to the human race. There are some people that believe when a bold individual jumps off this conveyer belt of life and decides that they are not being put together with the right parts they need to live a healthy and blessed life, are thought of as disobedient, self-righteous, stupid, or poor excuses for a human being. I witness a situation where a friend of mine was jumping off the belt into a pile of pledged Americans. This friend is a man who constantly praise for those against him, instead of yelling or debating back. This friend is a co-founder of the well-known Simple Way and a former Eastern University student. He also wrote several books about God’s plan and his mission for the human race. This guy I speak about has made an impact on several believers as well as non-believers today, he is Shane Claiborne.
I witnessed Shane lead an Anti-Gun Rally in 2010 with the support of several friends and family in the Kensington area of Northeast Philadelphia. Shane wanted the gun shop to sign off on an agreement that they will assure they will be a little safer with their gun distributing process. This was just by not selling a single person an excessive amount of firearms. I was asked a week before this event with my friend Mike Rosario, and we were both very excited about doing God’s work. We were also told that there would be an offending side that was pro-gun and we were not to comment on their statements. Mike and I were not very anxious about the offending side because we thought that possibly they were baring arms.
It was a surprising and emotional site for many first viewers like me. I remember Shane, Mike and I approaching the gun store with a huge crowd of supporters holding candles behind us. As soon as the base of our shoes hit the concrete on the opposite side of the gun shop we were insulted and yelled at by the “gun lovers.” There were several harsh comments shouted to us but majority of them were directed to Shane. I heard ignorant comments from “You’re a nappy headed idiot!” to “You’re a Stupid saint who was unsure what this world needed!” Mike and I were unsure whether we should break Shan’s rule stand up for him. It was then we noticed that he was strong and brave enough because he was ignoring the words of these harsh and devilish people. This day showed me that those who think differently are usually slandered in an attempt to alienate them from today’s society.  But once you prepare for these types of actions then you can easily win partial of the battle.
Shane Claiborne showed me that to think differently is a positive quality to possess and when you prepare and continue to take on these issues of our daily lives you will soon become victorious.






2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I appreciated the story and the pictures. I heard about this event from a friend who also attended. It must have been intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah ,very intense. It definitely change who I am and who I plan to become.

    ReplyDelete